1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 cups frozen seasoning blend veggies
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1-3 tbsp butter or other oil for sauteing
3-5 pounds red potatoes rinsed and cut into cubes. cut off any sprouts, peel if desired
2 tbsp butter for potatoes
1 cup milk ( I used coconut milk which gave a nice flavor and bc my fiance is lactose intolerant)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable broth (you may use beef broth as well.)
1 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
Seasoning to taste- salt & pepper, oregano, basil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to add to top. (or whatever cheese you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover potatoes with water in a medium size pot and bring to a boil. Add about a 1/2 tsp salt. Turn to medium heat and cook until tender. About 15- 20 minutes. Drain in a strainer once tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, crumble ground beef and put in a large preheated skillet on medium high heat. Season with salt & pepper, basil and oregano. Add garlic. Continue cooking until fully cooked.
- Heat milk and 2 tbsp butter in a sauce pan on medium heat until steaming and warm. Mash up potatoes well with a potato masher or whisk in a bowl (while they are still warm). Add milk and butter to potatoes. Add 1 tsp salt and baking powder. Mix well until smooth.
- Remove beef from skillet and set aside. Add seasoning blend veggies in skillet with oil on medium high heat and saute for a few minutes until tender, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add in carrots and continue cooking until tender about 5 -7 minutes. Add more oil if they start to stick. Season carrots as well. Add peas in and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- (Note- I always lightly season each layer to given a nice, flavor throughout. This way, you are building flavors and you don't end up with a bland dish. Don't over do the seasonings, just sprinkle lightly. Taste to make sure it is enough.)
- When all vegetables are tender, add beef back to skillet along with broth. Stir together and put the lid on for about 5 minutes to simmer, making sure everything is cooked throughout.
- Spread beef and vegetable mixture along the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Carefully spread the potato mixture evenly along the top. There should be plenty of potatoes to give a nice layer on top. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.